José M. Marques is Full Professor at the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences of the University of Porto. His teachings include undergraduate and graduate courses in Social Psychology and Methodology. He was head of the Social Psychology Research Team at the Center of Psychology of the University of Porto for several years until 2010, and he will become an Associate Researcher at the Institute of Social Sciences (University of Lisbon) as of January 2011. He has been involved for about 25 years in research about the "black sheep effect", from which he was the proponent. His current projects include the study of the functional complementarity between intergroup and intragroup differentiation processes for the subjective validation of beliefs in a positive social identity (Subjective Group Dynamics Theory).
- Abrams, D., Marques, J. M., Bown, N., & Henson, M. (2000). Pro-norm and anti-norm deviance within and between groups. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 78, 906-912.
- Levine, J. M. & Marques, J. M. (2016). Norm violators as threats and opportunities: The many faces of deviance in groups. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 19, 545-552. doi:10.1177/1368430216657415
- Marques, J. M., Abrams, D., Páez, D., & Taboada, C. M. (1998). The role of categorization and in-group norms in judgments of groups and their members. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 75, 976-988.
- Marques, J. M., Abrams, D., & Serôdio, R. G. (2001). Being better by being right: Subjective group dynamics and derogation of in-group deviants when generic norms are undermined. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 81, 436-447.
- Marques, J. M., Yzerbyt, V. Y., & Leyens, J.-Ph. (1988). The black sheep effect: Extremity of judgments towards ingroup members as a function of ingroup identification. European Journal of Social Psychology, 18, 1-16.
- Pinto, I. R., Marques, J. M., Levine, J. M., & Abrams, D. (2016). Membership role and subjective group dynamics: Impact on evaluative intragroup differentiation and commitment to prescriptive norms. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations, 19, 570-590. doi: 10.1177/1368430216638531
- Pinto, I. R., Marques, J. M., Levine, J. M., & Abrams, D. (2010). Membership status and subjective group dynamics: Who triggers the black sheep effect? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 99, 107-119.
- Pinto, I. R., Marques, J. M., & Páez, D. (2016). National identification as a function of perceived social control: A subjective group dynamics analysis. Group Processes & Intergroup Relations, 19, 236-256. doi: 10.1177/1368430215577225
- Abrams, D., Marques, J. M., Randsley de Moura, G., Hutchinson, P., & Bown, N. J. (2004). The maintenance of entitativity: A subjective group dynamics approach. In V. Y. Yzerbyt, C. M. Judd, & O. Corneille (Eds.), The psychology of group perception: Contributions to the study of homogeneity, entitativity, and essentialism (pp. 361-380). Philadelphia, PA: Psychology Press.
- Marques, J. M. (2010). Black sheep effect. In J. M. Levine & M. A. Hogg (Eds.), Encyclopedia of group processes and intergroup relations (pp. 55-57). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Marques, J. M. (2010). Opinion deviance. In J. M. Levine & M. A. Hogg (Eds.), Encyclopedia of group processes and intergroup relations (pp. 616-620). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Marques, J. M. (2004). Déviance, normativité, et dynamique de groupes subjective. In C. Staerkle & D. Spini (Eds.), Nouvelle Revue de Psychologie Sociale Festschrift in honour of Willem Doise, 1-2, 29-37.
- Marques, J. M. (1990). The black sheep effect: Outgroup homogeneity as a social comparison process. In D. Abrams & M. A. Hogg (Eds.), Social identity theory: Constructive and critical advances (pp. 131-151). New York: Harvester Wheatsheaf.
- Marques, J. M., Abrams, D., Páez, D., & Hogg, M. A. (2001). Social categorization, social identification, and rejection of deviant group members. In M. A. Hogg & R. S. Tindale (Eds.), Blackwell handbook of social psychology (Vol. 3): Group processes (pp. 400-424). Oxford, UK: Blackwell.
- Marques, J. M., & Páez, D. (2008). Dynamique de groupes subjective: Un cadre théorique pour l'effet brebis galeuse. In R. V. Joule & P. Huguet (Eds.), Bilans et perspectives en psychologie sociale (Série nº 2, pp. 71-115). Grenoble: Presses Universitaires de Grenoble.
- Marques, J. M., & Páez, D. (1994). The black sheep effect: Social categorisation, rejection of ingroup deviates, and perception of group variability. In W. Stroebe & M. Hewstone (Eds.), European Review of Social Psychology, 5, 37-68.
- Marques, J. M., Páez, D., & Abrams, D. (1998). Social identity and intragroup differentiation as subjective social control. In S. Worchel, J. F. Morales, D. Páez & J.-C. Deschamps (Eds.), Social identity: International perspectives (pp. 124-141). New York: Sage.
- Advanced Issues in Social Psychology
- Methods of Research in Psychology
- Psychology of Group Processes
- Social Psychology Research Seminar
Department of Psychology
University of Porto
R. Alfredo Allen
- Phone: +351 22 6079716
- Fax: +351 22 6079725